If you recently received a speeding ticket or moving violation within New Braunfels city limits, you may be eligible to complete a driver safety course to dismiss the ticket. New Braunfels Municipal Court will allow drivers who meet certain criteria the opportunity to plea guilty to the traffic violation charge and take a defensive driving course. The requirements are pretty simple and standard across all Texas courts. If you are interested in completing an online course, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Ability to provide proof of financial responsibility or vehicle liability insurance.
- Copy of a valid driver’s license (does not have to be issued by Texas DPS)
- Cannot have a commercial driver’s license, CDL, at the time of the offense
- If cited for speeding, you cannot have been cited for speeding 25 mph over the posted speed limit
- Offense cannot have occurred in an active construction zone while workers/people were present.
If you meet the above five requirements, you should be able to request and be eligible for an online defensive driving course. Please note that New Braunfels Municipal Court evaluates each traffic ticket on an individual basis. There is no uniform remedy to dismiss a ticket, so you will need to contact New Braunfels Municipal Court with questions or concerns about your citation or driver safety course eligibility. Prior to your appearance date which is located on your citation, you are responsible for making sure all necessary documents are handed in person or mailed to the court when requesting a driver safety course. New Braunfels Municipal Court will require five items:
- Copy of valid driver’s license or state issued permit
- Copy of auto liability insurance and financial responsibility
- A written plea admitting guilt to the charge(s) or a written plea stating “no contest.” When entering a plea of no contest, you are neither admitting guilt nor denying the offense occurred.
- Provide a written statement which will need to be sworn before a Texas Public Notary, stating you have not completed an online defensive driving course one calendar year prior to the date on your citation.
- Payment of fines and fees. This will include all court costs and administrative fees associated with the citation. New Braunfels Municipal Court does accept several types of payment to include, cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Card. Be sure when paying by check or money order that they are made out to New Braunfels Municipal Court.
Drivers interested in taking an online defensive driving course will need to download the DSC request form from the New Braunfels Municipal Court website and register with Defensive Driving Texas. Your speeding or traffic will not be dismissed until you have met all requirements as set by the court.
New Braunfels Municipal Court
1486 S. Seguin Ave
New Braunfels, Texas 78130
Phone: (830) 221-4180
Hours: Vary daily and extended hours available