Leander Municipal Court is quite detailed in their process for those interested in completing an online defensive driving course to dismiss a traffic ticket. If you are interested in requesting eligibility from the court to complete a defensive driving course you are required to submit the following to the court prior to your scheduled appearance date.
- Submit request to the court to complete an online defensive driving course. (Please refer to the Leander Municipal Court website for the required form.)
- Proof of insurance which must be in your name or have you listed as a policy member
- Copy of your driver’s license
- Cashier’s check or money order to pay fees associated with ticket. You will need to contact the court, court clerk or the court website to identify exact fee amount to be paid. Leander Municipal Court will not accept personal checks for court fees. Current fees range from $110-$140. This fee does not include the cost of a defensive driving course which in Texas is currently $25.00.
Your request for defensive driving can be completed online however expect to pay a small processing fee. This request is currently under the “make a municipal court payment” tab on the City of Leander and Leander Municipal Court websites.
Once Leander Municipal Court deems you eligible for defensive driving to dismiss your traffic ticket, they will mail you a confirmation letter stating eligibility with further detailed instructions and a new “due date” or court date. Leander Municipal Court requires two documents be returned to the court for proper ticket dismissal.
- Defensive Driving Certificate – Register and complete a 6 hour online defensive driving course that is approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) such as www.defensivedrivingtexas.com. Once you complete the online study, you will be mailed a certificate of completion. This certificate needs to be turned into the court. Since Texas law requires certificates to be mailed, be sure to allow plenty of time for mail delivery. Defensive Driving Texas does offer expedited shipping methods for those of us who procrastinate and wait until the final hour to take an online course.
- Texas Driving Record – Be sure to request your Texas driving record from Defensive Driving Texas when you purchase your online defensive driving course. If you request a driving record through DPS, records are mailed and can take several weeks for processing and delivery. When you order online, your request is immediate. Just purchase, enter requested information and your record will be delivered to your inbox instantaneously.
Finally, deliver these items to Leander Municipal Court either in person or through mail service. Items must be received in the court by close of business on your due date. Failure to have these items to the court could result in additional fines, warrant for arrest, and making this particular ticket ineligible for dismissal.
Leander Municipal Court
200 W. Willis Street
Leander, TX 78641
Phone: (512) 259-1239
Hours: Monday –Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm